2018 Research Day Deadlines
- Tuesday, January 16: Online form opens for abstract submission.
- Tuesday, February 20: Deadline for abstract submission at 11:30 p.m. (EST).
- Thursday, February 22: Scoring begins.
- Tuesday, March 6: Complete judging of abstracts.
- Tuesday, March 13: Authors notified of results.
- Monday, April 16: Poster purchase orders must be submitted for approval.
- Monday, April 23: Deadline for submission – MUST submit posters to printed by 5:00 p.m. (to avoid late fees, will need to contact printer if unable to submit on this day for payment options and to make sure the poster will be ready on time).
- Friday, April 27: Oral PowerPoint presentation deadline – MUST submit by 5:00 p.m. (EST)
The 36th Annual Kalamazoo Community Medical and Health Sciences Research Day, sponsored by the medical school will be held on Wednesday, May 2nd, 2018 at the Western Michigan University John T. Bernhard Center in Kalamazoo. The event will feature keynote speaker, Dr. James Cook.
Dr. Cook the William & Kathryn Allen Distinguished Chair in Orthopaedic Surgery, the Director of the Thompson Laboratory for Regenerative Orthopaedics & Mizzou BioJoint Center and Chief of the Orthopaedic Research Division at the University of Missouri.
Research Day Submission Categories
- Basic Sciences: Activities related to fundamental, theoretical, or experimental sciences including development of technologies and techniques.
- Clinical: Activities related to safety and effectiveness of medications, devices, diagnostic products; and treatment regimens intended for human use, including analysis of established clinical practice and case presentations.
- Community: Activities related to identifying and addressing community health needs.
- Education: Activities related to the design, development, and implementation of educational programs or events, including the utilization of technology in the classroom setting.
- Medical Humanities: Activities related to the application of humanities, social sciences, and the arts to medical education and practice.
- Quality Improvement: Activities related to performance improvement or quality improvement of medical practice, including the enhancement of healthcare delivery.
Posters & Abstracts
If you would like assistance with research abstracts, please contact Laura Bauler, PhD, medical editor in the Division of Epidemiology and Biostatistics. For WMed-affiliated Research Day entries the approved poster presentation templates can be found within the WMed Collaboration Site under Communications > Templates > Posters. Tips, tricks, and guideline information for abstracts and scientific posters are also available from the Division of Epidemiology & Biostatistics. All potential Research Day participants have access to additional resources for creating scientific posters and abstracts via the WMed Library.
Poster Printing Details
- Size: 42'' tall x 63" wide (using a 24" x 36" template)
- Pricing: $95.00
- Deadline: Monday, April 24th @ 5:00p.m.
- Late Fee: $25
- Forms: Poster Instructions and Purchase Order
ScholarWorks at WMed
Accepted and final abstract submissions will be deposited into ScholarWorks. ScholarWorks is an online open-access repository designed to collect and preserve scholarly, educational, and creative works produced by WMed faculty, staff, and students, and serves as a permanent digital archive for these materials. Abstracts from Research Day will be deposited in the WMU Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine Collection: Research Day. The full-text abstracts are searchable within ScholarWorks and search engines such as Google. You will be able to link your abstract through a stable URL so other researchers will be able to find your work. Research Day entries will also have the option to submit their research posters within WMed's ScholarWorks collections. For more information, please contact a WMed Librarian.